Scout 1
(New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!)
05/23/11 03:24 AM
Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin

Gentlemen, I am pulling together a "canteen" to go down and help feed affected folks and the hundreds of vols and workers who are converging on Joplin after today's disaster.

Guys, we are a family on this dump, and though we bicker and give each other chit majorly, truth is, there ain't a bad egg on here. I'd like this canteen to be the Cafe Outdoors tornado outreach canteen, even if I'm the only one manning it. I have the time and the inclination. Those folks are gonna need bigtime help, and this is one way we who are lucky enough to have missed the carnage can help make a difference.

I've already got commitments for two tow-behind cookers, and in the morning I'm working the phones to line up a few more, plus cases of burgers, brats and other stuff to set up a canteen to provide sammiches and drinks to LEOS, cleanup crews, utility folks and anyone needing to grab a quick bite while working the aftermath.

If there any interest here on the Cafe to help either with manpower (planning on leaving here Thursday AM) or with product (frozen burger pattys, brats, buns, charcoal, ice and bottled water), hit my PM or my cell 816 724 0653. We could also use a coupla popup tents and some more good big coolers. If you want to give a donation, I will have a treasurer on board by noon tomorrow for that (EDIT: That is Mr. Tim Vogler, see specifics below)

If you have connections to help us get donations of food for this, that's better than a cash contribution IMO, but do whatever you feel.

I THINK I can finagle all the bread products we need from ITT-Continental. I'm also hitting up the Angus Association in St. Joe for beef patties, and National Pork Producers for pork patties, or at least $$ to buy a bunch of em.

EDIT: Bivouacking will be Bachelor Ranch style... at a LEO's private residence a few miles from the carnage area. THANKS MIKE!!

How long to run the canteen -- who knows? I'm planning on staying a week myself. Maybe this thing will get legs and last longer than that.

Selah until more info Monday. Pray for 'em, in the meantime. Hell came to town this afternoon for those poor souls.

cook
(member)
05/23/11 09:40 AM
Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin

News just reported 89 confirmed deaths.

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
05/23/11 09:41 AM

IF YOU ARE ROLLING BY HERE ANY TIME STOP IN AND COLLECT $100.

Scout 1
05/23/11 10:43 AM

Thank you Tom.

Scout 1
05/23/11 12:47 PM

Here's the 8:30 a.m. update.

IIFID has stated his willingness to help out, so he is gonna be the treasurer for this effort. If you want to help financially, contact IIFID, and thanks to him and you in advance.

We have two cash pledges so far, Swampy and Foots, and Cook is working the phones for some vendor contributions from his restaurant contacts. HyVee Food Stores has promised the use of one of its tow-behind cookers. Farmers Bank of Gallatin puss'ed out on me, so we could use one more tow-behind, if anybody knows of one. Hopefully one located between here and Joplin.

I have folks at American Angus Association and National Pork Producers working with us to line up some product.

I have a call in to Academy Sports HQ to see about setting up our canteen on their parking lot (private property). Academy was leveled, and is approximately across the road from the hospital that everybody has seen on the teevee footage.

That's it for now. ANYBODY who can help in any way with this, please do. Thanks

LABMANLAPTOP
()
05/23/11 12:50 PM

Tell me where to send a Swampy check and it will be in the mail...... Thanks for your compassion - now that's real Karma.

816-769-2220

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 01:09 PM

I guess I am going to be the so called treasurer for this effort. So those interested can send a check to me at:
Tim Vogler
202 NE Paseo Pl.
Blue Springs, MO 64014

Thanks in advance to all who can help. And a huge "ATTABOY!" to Scott for getting this started.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/23/11 01:10 PM

I gots a $100 for ya Scott.

Scout 1
05/23/11 01:40 PM

THANKS DUDES!

This is the CAFE Canteen. It's got legs. We have folks from here to the West Coast working on stuff for this deal.

We (whoever shows up and needs a roof) have a place to flop now, free, in Mt. Vernon, which is a few miles up the road, thanks to local newspaper publisher Steve Fairchild. A heckuva nice guy.

Still need charcoal, and still need more ready-to-cook burgers if anybody has a connection. Certified Angus Beef is coming thru with some, but prolly not enough.

Anybody have an "in" with Lowes or Home Depot? They might give a pallet of charcoal. ???

Thanks again men.

67Firebird
(Former political advocate)
05/23/11 03:06 PM

There's possibilities of help and donations, as well as contacting people, on a facebook page made for this;

https://www.facebook.com/joplinmo

Scout 1
05/23/11 03:43 PM

Missouri's Pork Producers are on board with a pledge of product and manpower if we need it.

SOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEE thank you Pork Producers!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 04:39 PM

Several of us on here know Winger. He was up here this weekend for a UKC retriever hunt test and just gotten home and unpacked when it hit. His home is about 5 miles from where the tornado touched down. He and his (and his property) are fine. His wife is a nurse practioner and he is LEO. There were some of the first on the scene. I am glad that I will not see what they saw last night. He described some of it to me and it is horrific. I am headed down with Dadakota after I get off work on Saturday and we plan on staying til Monday. Mike says all help is appreciated. He said more then 300 doctors and nurses from all over had already arrived by early morning. The eldest and most of his firefighter class are headed down at 4 AM tomorrow.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 04:49 PM

Just got a commitment of 10 cases of water.

DjF
(little buddie)
05/23/11 04:58 PM

TIMMY, YOU GOING TO BE AT WORK 3:30ISH TOMORROW AFTERNOON...???

newt
(member)
05/23/11 05:23 PM

Scout,

Winger under a different name here. I got calls into see where you can set up. Mt. Vernon is 30 to 45 minutes from Joplin depending on traffic. I told Vogler no sense in that, every one of you are welcome at my house if you can share a bathroom with a 16 year old teenager. It's not the Hilton and other than a pullout bed, couple cots and a couch we will make do. Put you a lot closer. I can't thank you all enough.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

DjF said:

The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I intend to be!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 05:36 PM

Quote:

newt said:
Scout,

Winger under a different name here. I got calls into see where you can set up. Mt. Vernon is 30 to 45 minutes from Joplin depending on traffic. I told Vogler no sense in that, every one of you are welcome at my house if you can share a bathroom with a 16 year old teenager. It's not the Hilton and other than a pullout bed, couple cots and a couch we will make do. Put you a lot closer. I can't thank you all enough.

Mike,
Scott has your digits and will be in touch. This thing is gathering steam. Have multiple more commitments. I wish it could be sooner but Dave and I will see you on Saturday afternoon. Hang in there man!
Tim

Scout 1
05/23/11 05:45 PM

Winger/Newt... THANK YOU sir. We will take you up on that kind offer. Will bring everything we need, just need a roof and a shower.

I will holler later this afternoon, hopefully you will get a chance to sleep a little before then.

Just got a call from an old lady in Cameron who's giving $200. How bout that. The radio station picked up the cause from an email I sent to the city manager. That's karma!

DjF
(little buddie)
05/23/11 05:48 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

DjF said:

The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I intend to be!

Okay, I just sent out en email that included Winger's post from MWTs...hopefully I can collect some $ money here at school...might be tough, they already paid 5 to wear jeans this week!

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/23/11 05:49 PM

Yo Scout,

Local HyVee manager said corporate was sending aid but he kicked in a $50 card. What do you want with it? Water? Charcoal? Let me know dude.

Muggs
(member)
05/23/11 06:09 PM

Tim and Scout

My wife and I will be sending you all a check. I will make it payable to Tim Vogler, if that's correct. I wish you guys luck. Be safe over there. There's going to be lots of hazards.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 06:12 PM

I have 16 cases of water in my truck. I told my staff what we were doing and my VP left and went and bought it! Scott will you have room for it on the way down? I could meet you and hand it off if you do.

cook
(member)
05/23/11 06:15 PM

Water is good,but"May I suggest the sausage?"

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 06:19 PM

Quote:

Muggs said:
Tim and Scout

My wife and I will be sending you all a check. I will make it payable to Tim Vogler, if that's correct. I wish you guys luck. Be safe over there. There's going to be lots of hazards.

Thanks Muggs!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 06:20 PM

Quote:

cook said:
Water is good,but"May I suggest the sausage?"

Scout 1
05/23/11 06:41 PM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Yo Scout,

Local HyVee manager said corporate was sending aid but he kicked in a $50 card. What do you want with it? Water? Charcoal? Let me know dude.

Way to go, tell Carol THANK YOU very much too.

How much ketchup and mustard will 50 bucks buy? We will need that stuff, and nobody has come forward yet, so... or use your own judgment.

Premium Standard Farm is going to donate a bunch of pork product, but it won't be available until next week. I told the lady, that's good, we will need it next week.

A local realtor pledged another 100 bucks, I have to pick it up Tuesday.

Scout 1
05/23/11 06:43 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
I have 16 cases of water in my truck. I told my staff what we were doing and my VP left and went and bought it! Scott will you have room for it on the way down? I could meet you and hand it off if you do.

Most of it at least. That's great! Tell yer staff they get the rest of the day off, and all the money they can grab from the till.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 06:44 PM

I just recieved a commitment of a $500 donation from a KC area credit union. Thanks to all who are stepping up to the plate.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 06:46 PM

i was just thinking that a couple of other things that would probably be very help would be some of the small bottles of the anti-bacterial hand sanitizer and wet naps.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/23/11 06:59 PM

Scout - Ketchup, mustard, and relish will be acquired.

Scout 1
05/23/11 07:17 PM

I relish getting news like that!

Hell, Red Cross might sign this outfit up. LOOK at what's happened in less than one day.

Cafe dudes are the best. Thank you to EVERYONE.

Let's keep it rolling!

Scout 1
05/23/11 07:21 PM

Hey Muggs just made a great suggestion in a PM...

we need to have a couple of smaller gas grills on station, also.

I don't have a gas burner anymore... anyone in SWMO got one we might borry?

That's a helluva good suggestion Muggs, thanks man.

Mel
(member)
05/23/11 07:54 PM

Tim, $50 check in the mail tomorrow morning.

Great, no SUPER, job by all you guys getting this organized. Those people need a whole lot of help and prayers down there.

MB2
(member)
05/23/11 08:10 PM

What will be sent to Tim's office...

Pancake Mix
Maple Syrup
Frosted Flakes
Raisin Bran
Coffee
25 lb. bag of Sugar

Peanut Butter
Grape Jelly
Strawberry Jam
Honey

Kellogg Cereal Bars
Quaker Cereal Bars
Welch's Fruit Snacks

Dish Soap
Hand Wipes
Liquid Hand Soap
Scotch-Brite Scrub Sponges

Jarred Baby Food
Baby Formula

-----------

Praying for everyone involved, and thanking you for the opportunity to help some kids get through this.....

Muggs
(member)
05/23/11 08:25 PM

If you can't get gas grills, use my money to buy them.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 09:15 PM

This was posted by Mike on another site around lunch. He has been a LEO for some time and has seen a lot of things. This kind of puts things in perspective and why we are doing what we are doing:
"It was a long night and tonight will be even longer. Need to get some sleep but just can't seem to close the peepers to get there. Seeing things like this on television doesn't prepare one for being there. There are no words and it's tough to leave me speechless. We lost a lot of people yesterday. One thing i will say though is thanks to people from places i have never even heard of from MO, OK, AR, KS there were a lot of lives saved. Heavy equipment, food, water, doctors, surgeons, nurses, paramedics, volunteers, leo's poured into it. As a matter of fact there were so many people volunteering that we could not keep a coordinated search effort goin easily. With very few exceptions i would say that last night was the most emotional night of my life. The look in childrens faces when you finally get to them under debris and they grab onto you for life. I didn't understand that phrase of grabbing and holding on for dear life until yesterday, now i do. People just looking numb like as their loved ones are being pulled from houses. Complete shock i guess is the best words my simple mind can think of. I have never seen anything on a scale like this and pray i never do again. It is truely devastating.

I would also like to thank those keeping my wife and kids in their prayers last night. We got home right as it started from "HomeofToto" City. As I was unloading you could hear it. Turned the radio on and started getting dressed for work. Didn't get my pants on before the dispatch came from joplin. Got the children to a friends house safe and i went to work as well as my wife who was out working at one of the make shift triage centers. Phone towers were down and communication was bad. Thank you to all my friends concerned and checking on me and the family. We once again were blessed beyond what we deserve through all of this."

My heart goes out to all the folks down there.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/23/11 09:51 PM

Scout - Picked up another $50 from my SIL. HyVee has sent 5 tractor-trailer loads to Joplin with gloves - food - water, etc. My daughter says she has 3 more checks for ya.

Scout 1
05/23/11 10:18 PM

Dave that is GREAT! Get em over to Tim when you can.

Miss Bud, Sincere thanks to you for your long-range donation. I'm sure Tim can find an appropriate home for it down there.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/23/11 10:48 PM

Just got 10 more cases of water donated.

MB2
(member)
05/23/11 10:52 PM

Don't BUY gas grills yet. Does anyone have ANY kind of idea as to how long you're going to need them in Joplin?

Scout 1
05/23/11 11:04 PM

Don't worry, we won't have to buy any. I have a line on the lend of a couple from a local church down there.

Fellers, Affiliated Foods, the ginormous food mega-warehouse, is a "no" by the way.

SUPERX2
(member)
05/23/11 11:59 PM

Scout, I just had a talk with both of my kids about what you are doing and they want to give some money. They are getting ready to go to Disney World next week, and I was going to give each one of them 50.00 dollars to spend while they were there. When I asked them about this disaster, and if they wanted to give up any of there money they said they would give it all, and then asked if they could give some of there toys for the kids. I know you may not have alot of room for a small box of toys, but if you do they want to collect some for the kids. So I guess I will send a check to Tim, courtesy of my kids, Trey(11yrs old), and Tristyn(7yrs old). Please let me know about the toys.

Scout 1
05/24/11 12:11 AM

SuperX that is MAGNIFICENT! Tell them GREAT JOB and give em a hug from all of us here. If they are willing to do that, let's honor their wishes and accept and find a home for those toys. NICE.

I know it's been said many times already, but THANK YOU and God bless you all for everybody's hard work and concern so far. We haven't hit town yet, but folks in Joplin already know about "those hunters" and the effort we are putting up on their behalf.

Damn fine bunch, you are!

SUPERX2
(member)
05/24/11 12:31 AM

Quote:

Scout 1 said:
SuperX that is MAGNIFICENT! Tell them GREAT JOB and give em a hug from all of us here. If they are willing to do that, let's honor their wishes and accept and find a home for those toys. NICE.

I know it's been said many times already, but THANK YOU and God bless you all for everybody's hard work and concern so far. We haven't hit town yet, but folks in Joplin already know about "those hunters" and the effort we are putting up on their behalf.

Damn fine bunch, you are!

They are going to get some things together, maybe a few stuffed animals, some pencils and paper to draw or write on, just whatever they can come up with. I will meet up with Tim before you guys leave, and get him whatever they come up with, it may not be much, but if it gives a kid some security, it's done the job.

OYD
(member)
05/24/11 01:11 AM

Scout,
I flew in and out of that place all night last night. Total devastation. I can't begin to describe it on this site. 10+ helicopters and fixed wing in and out all night.

I've got a 4 folks that can come over and help on Thursday, a couple of them will be availble after that. I've got to go back to work but will get you some help if you need it.

PM me what you need.

Kurt

dabsAdministrator
()
05/24/11 01:17 AM

Troy -

That is kewl as heck from Trey and Trystin!!!

Great effort by the whole bunch of you...unfortunately I got some other things going on right now I am taking care of and am passing on this one...but, I just saw on the news that the Red Cross opened a donation center tonight in KC staffed by volunteers and as of 20 minutes ago they had raised $206,000.00!!!!!

Keep up the valiant effort!

H2ODOG
(the one who never tires)
05/24/11 01:18 AM

Will is heading down from Columbia this weekend. I don't know how much room he has, but we have a room quickly filling up here at the house of items for him. There is a chance I will be heading that way as well before the week is out.

Clothing is another item that is needed in the immdediate future until the insurance comes through.

DjF
(little buddie)
05/24/11 02:28 AM

What is done here, in just a short period of time just amazes me...Gad Bless...

just think what we could do if we didn't shase of new members within five minutes!!!

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/24/11 03:01 AM

Scout - Two more folks from MWT are sending checks Thanks to all.

MB2
(member)
05/24/11 07:57 AM

Charcoal? Are you still looking for charcoal?

Vogi
(member)
05/24/11 09:38 AM

Check coming your way today Tim.

RafeHollister
(member)
05/24/11 11:27 AM

I have room at my house for 1 person to stay--maybe 2 if you don't mind sleeping on a couch. If you come down here, you better have lodging arrangements made because you ain't getting a motel.

Scout 1
05/24/11 12:12 PM

Thanks Rafe... yep, we have that covered in spades.

Yer a local... do you know anybody right around there with a tow-behind BBQ/smoker/grill outfit we might snag for an open-ended commitment?

Let us know, and thanks, keep up the good work yer doing.

Scout 1
05/24/11 12:43 PM

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Charcoal? Are you still looking for charcoal?

Tim... any further news on your source of lump charcoil?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/24/11 01:43 PM

No word yet but I have a commitment of another 10 cases of water to be donated today. Also a possible lead on a source from a large wholesale food company! And we have another volunteer to help who is a retired electrician who is willing to drive his truck and pull a trailer down! So we will have a real ability to haul down some things to help!

MB2
(member)
05/24/11 01:45 PM

Here's the deal, since I REALLY don't know what you need, or what you want me to ask for.

I emailed Jay at Backyard Bash in Parkville last night. They rent grills. My exact and only request to him was this:

"We are a group of hunters and fishermen/women who belong to a Missouri online forum. We are organizing a bbq canteen heading to Joplin later this week, and I'm wondering if you could loan us a couple of gas grills in order to help the residents of Joplin. As of yet, the length of this mission is undetermined. We are absolutely devastated and thank you for your kind consideration in this urgent matter. Susan Page"

His reply last night to me was to contact him at his office by telephone this morning.

What do you need? Grills??? Charcoal???

If you have all that stuff covered, then I'll ask him for a further lead on more food.

Scout 1
05/24/11 01:59 PM

Tim will you respond to this please, I'm out the door and offline a couple hours.

DjF
(little buddie)
05/24/11 02:18 PM

$60 collected so far at school...

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/24/11 02:45 PM

JUst had a generator and small AC unit given to us.

wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
05/24/11 02:55 PM

Scout

Contact info from Miss Bud's charcoal contact per above is in new PM

One of y'all might want to contact Miss Bud since she took the lead with this fella plus she is very presuasive

MB2
(member)
05/24/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Scout

One of y'all might want to contact Miss Bud since she took the lead with this fella plus she is very presuasive

God damnit! NOOOOOOOOOO!! Don't YOU phone the poor dude. I just phoned him. Once he gets back to his office, he's going to contact his charcoal supplier and call me back.

wuchangAdministrator
05/24/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
Scout

God damnit! NOOOOOOOOOO!! Don't YOU phone the poor dude. I just phoned him. Once he gets back to his office, he's going to contact his charcoal supplier and call me back.

Okay-- new PM to Scout was just sent with the hold that call -- Miss Bud has already called him

That means you will be the one contacting the guy and reporting the outcome to Scout1?

MB2
(member)
05/24/11 04:03 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
Scout

Okay-- new PM to Scout was just sent with the hold that call -- Miss Bud has already called him

That means you will be the one contacting the guy and reporting the outcome to Scout1?

I will report directly to Scout. I don't need to know which of his personalities I'm dealing with today, I just want a list of what he needs, by the weekend. I'm just looking at priorities right now.

Holy Hannah

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/24/11 04:15 PM

Who is Hannah?

At the risk of being semi-serious for a mere second... ya'all are pretty amazing folks..

Now back to the regularly scheduled BOOLCHIT!

Hawk
(member)
05/24/11 04:16 PM

Its not food, but Im sure they could use all the leather and work gloves they can get. Has anyone contacted TSC, Orscheln, etc?

MB2
(member)
05/24/11 04:42 PM

Quote:

Hawk said:
Its not food, but Im sure they could use all the leather and work gloves they can get. Has anyone contacted TSC, Orscheln, etc?

Good idea Hawk.

Could someone down there please contact these folks.

Midwest Glove in Chillicothe. 1-800-821-3028

Generally 800 numbers don't accept out of country calls.

67Firebird
05/24/11 05:02 PM

Someone suggested pet food for those who still have their critters with them. Maybe there is a plant or distributor down there that would donate.

Scout 1
05/24/11 05:02 PM

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
I don't need to know which of his personalities I'm dealing with today, I just want a list of what he needs, by the weekend. I'm just looking at priorities right now.

Well, the one that HATES yer meddling azz is on duty at the moments, so...

Seriously, I ain't reporting ANYTHING to you by any weekend.

This may be just another of your harebrained games to you but the rest of us are giving up work and family time to get it done, so back the fork off. PLEASE.

fullstrut
(member)
05/24/11 05:32 PM

Scout,
I just got on here and saw the post. I am relatively close--- a little less than an hour. Seems like you are needing a pull behind grill. I checked with the teacher across the hall and am working on checking into some of the local cattlemens associations that I know have some pretty big rigs.
I am going to try to check with the local guy around here, but she said the Joplin Regional Stock yard has a big pull behind grill and the contact guys last name is Harmon. I can look intoit after school, but if you are wanting to get in touch now there number is 417-548-2333.
If anyone needs a place to stay, they can call me at 417-354-4801.
Brad

DjF
(little buddie)
05/24/11 05:38 PM

Timmy...I am going to have to get you the money tomorrow...unexpected Grandpa duties came up..

damn, didn't know they made depends this small!

H2ODOG
05/24/11 05:43 PM

I've seen a bunch of this junk up close and dealt with it. Right now people need clothing, food, and a roof over their head. The Salvation Army and Red Cross supply a ton of meals. Every little bit helps, especially when the closest meal is 4-5 miles away and you no longer have a vehicle. MRE's and water are a HUGE deal since most folks don't have a way to cook or get water. The canteen will take care of a huge need in basic needs.

I'm sorry but a pet can eat road kill or table scraps. It's about surviving at this point. Have no fear the democratic loving anti hunting group ASPCA will be taking bags of dog food and dumping it.......that way stray animals and rats can eat and those bastards can sleep "thinking" they did some good

Fishguy
(member)
05/24/11 05:49 PM

Check coming your way Timmy.

Fishguy

Scout 1
05/24/11 05:58 PM

The Red Cross lady said yesterday we can expect to serve up to 1200 peeps a day... just from our lil burger stand.

Just got a phoned commitment for 18 CASES of barbecue sauce LOL. We may hand out barbecue sauce and ask em if they want a burger on it.

Didn't ask what kind. Maybe Blues Hog (josh)

Burrhead has come thru with a contrib of burger patties, way to go KEV!

Keep em coming guys. It may seem like we're pushing to excess, but as Jeff stated above... the need is there, and it won't end when the weekend does.

wuchangAdministrator
05/24/11 06:18 PM

Scott

I know your busy but would it be possible to post a list of who is calling to get things like charcoal,utensils, paper plates, buns, condiments etc so none of us duplicate phone calls to vendors/suppliers?

I know you are set to hit the road, so is there someone that you are going to check in with for status of who/when/where etc that we can email or PM or whatever?

Since you will be at site,you can contact that person and they can relay what is currently needed-- they in turn can post it here or however you choose.

just a thought

Scout 1
05/24/11 06:24 PM

Let's get something clear here. This ain't the Scout show.

This IS the CAFE OUTDOORS CANTEEN.

If it succeeds, if it fails ... if it makes no difference at all... it's the CAFE OUTDOORS CANTEEN, which means it is the dudes of the Cafe.

Right now, it's a matter of pride in who we are, and of doing the right thing for our fellow Missourians.

I just happen to have time and the willingness to help be a bird dog. That's it. SELAH.

Just got another contribution of 36 cases of bottled water, from a friend of a friend in Arkansas. She is delivering it to our church contacts in Jop.

Word from there just now is, bottled water is a hot commodity. So keep taking those donations.

THANK YOU to everybody who is taking this thing seriously.

Scout 1
05/24/11 06:38 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Scott

I know your busy but would it be possible to post a list of who is calling to get things like charcoal,utensils, paper plates, buns, condiments etc so none of us duplicate phone calls to vendors/suppliers?

I know you are set to hit the road, so is there someone that you are going to check in with for status of who/when/where etc that we can email or PM or whatever?

Since you will be at site,you can contact that person and they can relay what is currently needed-- they in turn can post it here or however you choose.

just a thought

Good thoughts, all.

Are you willing to be the Wizard of Oz for awhile? I don't know your schedule or workload, but you'd be an obvious and great choice to be the clearinghouse for info and questions. I don't care who does it (with 1 exception) as long as they're available pretty much all the time, and serious about doing a good job.

As I said above... I've only been the Wizard up to now because I have tons of time and am interested in seeing it succeed.

As far as a list of who's hunting for what... man, that may be a tuff nut because everybody's been pretty much shooting for whatever they can get... which is normal for a deal like this.

We might make a list of what we KNOW is in-hand at this point. That might be more doable at this point?

wuchangAdministrator
05/24/11 06:41 PM

I know it ain't a one man show

My post was recognizing that certain individuals have a better handle on what is going on and what is being worked on as well as what will be needed once at the site

as an example
My Dad is in the hospital in Tulsa

May have to make a run there this weekend depending on his status

Joplin is on the way and I might be able to bring stuff that is needed as I pass thru

If I am making the run, I would need to know who to contact to off load anything etc in Joplin

Also on the way back, I could run pony express to St Louis if needed

just sayin

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/24/11 06:43 PM

Scout - I am planning on departing on Friday morning. If you want me to haul anything, or anyone let me know. Also need to know where to meet up with you. I'll have my giant cooler full of water and ice, compressor, and ac unit. Do you want the condiments delivered to Tim or should I bring them down with me? What about tables?

Dave

Scout 1
05/24/11 06:55 PM

LMAO Bill, I wasn't yellin at you in the least, and that was not my intent, tone, or meaning, or whatever.

I just don't want anybody thinkin this is Scout the Glory Hog out for ego trips or to be large and in charge ... cause ego ain't my bag. It'd pizz me off if somebody else was pulling that chit, so I wanted it REALLY CLEAR that I wasn't, either. This is a Cafe project all the way. I just started a ball rolling that YOU GUYS have kept rolling along, and added to it OUTSTANDINGLY.

Okay, to your point.. you are right, here for the purpose of efficiency and reach-ability are my digits if there's anything I can help out with: 816 724 0653. I think you and a lot of others have Timmy's already. Anybody else wants to step up with theirs, that's fine.

Again... no ego involved... if I can help out or answer a ??, by all means call. I'll admit it if I can't help ya LMAO

Scout 1
05/24/11 07:07 PM

Let's use Timmy's as the central warehouse for everything from the Westside, how bout that? (Except what you have room for, obviously, Dave)

TIm, you OK with that?

Unless otherwise directed, I'm gonna be coming thru Blue Springs early Thursday.

Can somebody around Sedalia make a pick-up and Cafe Express run to Tim's before Thursday morning? If so, call me for the details, thanks.

wuchangAdministrator
05/24/11 07:16 PM

Scout

I created a new forum at the top of the cafe

Post 1 is the WHO/WHEN/WHERE so that we can have an idea of the volunteers and their arrival

Post 2 is for folks that are calling vendors/suppliers-- this should alert folks if someone from the Cafe has contacted them so we don't duplicate effort or annoy them with multiple phone calls from multiple people

Consider these "master" threads and hopefully they will help develop a coordinated effort

I'm going to ask that only you, Tim or I add any additional threads so it won't get too complicated.

Thanks to all

FEtch to Joplin relief

http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=Joplin

Scout 1
05/24/11 07:40 PM

That is a "Masterful" plan... thank you Bill!! Outstanding sir!

If everybody will fill in their own particular info, we will be golden. Thanks to all.

Latest from the Capitol on relief efforts like ours. We may need to discuss how to move forward based on this. See what you say:

Here is the latest update that we got here at the Capitol:

“Thank you for all your concern and offers of help. Right now the best course of action is to let the emergency response officials and other professionals handle the effort to make sure all the missing are accounted for and continue the effort to get the relief effort organized. Hopefully, the situation on the ground will improve enough to let people who want to volunteer come down sometime next week.”

wuchangAdministrator
05/24/11 07:49 PM

Where are y'all going to set up shop?
If it is on the perimeter or out of the rescue response effort active area and you've cleared it with them--
then proceed as planned

I think a lot of it will sort itself out on scene

Also once on site, might be a good idea to have a central meeting place to save on cell phone calls/battery charging etc so volunteer canteen work can be staged/planned

Scout 1
05/24/11 08:02 PM

Tim has a LEO friend working thru back channels on that, Wu, and we are awaiting the results of that.

We have a formal invitation from the church that is right across from the hospital ... they want us to set up on their parking lot, which as you might imagine was in the heart of the mess.

Question is, does a written invitation from the church congregation cut any ice with the LEOs in charge of keeping folks out.

So we have options and will use em all if necessary. May get OYD to air-drop us in from his helo.

LABMANLAPTOP
()
05/24/11 08:15 PM

Local response to Missouri tornado relief has been amazing
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
By Nick Schneider, Assistant Editor
(Photo)
Mindy Barnhill, of Bloomfield, was helping with the loading of the relief supply truck on Tuesday morning.
(By Nick Schneider) [Order this photo]
The response by area residents to a call for help to assist tornado victims in the Joplin, Mo., area has been overwhelming.

That's the assessment by Leroy Barnhill, terminal manager/driver for R & R Trucking Company, located at the intersection of U.S. 231 and State Road 558 in Daviess County near the Greene County line.

The storm and devastating damage hit home with Barnhill and the other R & R Trucking employees.

The home office for R & R Trucking is located in Joplin, which was ravaged by a deadly F4 rated tornado Sunday -- destroying hundreds of homes and businesses.

Barnhill is helping to organize the Greene/Daviess County relief effort to assist the Missouri tornado victims -- many of whom are co-workers with the company.

"God is so good. I was just talking to those people out there. They just can't believe the outpouring of support from us here," Barnhill said.

In about eight hours Monday, enough donations poured in to fill the Bloomfield collection site to fill an entire semi trailer with water, diapers, food, clothing, and other items.

The first filled semi truck left the staging area on South Jefferson Street in Bloomfield -- next to Bloomfield Manufacturing Company -- about 5 p.m. and arrived at the in Joplin about 2 a.m. where unloading was taking place at the Forest Baptist Church in Joplin and also College Heights Christian Church for distribution, Barnhill said.

Interestingly, the driver who took the load of relief supplies was a tornado victim himself. He had been on a run in the Canada area on Sunday night when the storm hit his hometown. He was dispatched to the Indianapolis area early Monday and then down to Bloomfield on Monday evening to drive the load of collected items, Barnhill explained.

"These are actual victims hauling the stuff back to Missouri," Barnhill told the Greene County Daily World.

"There was 35,000 pounds of water, 12 pallets of water. Utilities District of Western Indiana REMC came through with four pallets of water and Bloomfield Manufacturing Company had five pallets donated," Barnhill said. "Eric (Harrah) with Bloomfield Manufacturing is as humble as he can be and has been good to us. His son, Austin, is putting together a crew who is going to go out to Joplin this weekend. They are leaving Friday morning. They are going to stay at our terminal in Joplin and work out of there. It's just amazing."

Barnhill has been pleased with the help he's received.

A Washington, Ind., woman contacted him on Tuesday who had read about the relief effort on the Greene County Daily World's website and the need for rain gear.

She called and offered Barnhill six skids full of discontinued rain gear ( 2,000 rain suits) of all sizes that she was going to donate.

"That stuff will be in Joplin tonight," Barnhill promised.

After talking with some of the people that Barnhill knows in Joplin he found out Tuesday morning there is a great need for gloves.

Barnhill called a glove company in Plainville and they agreed to donated a number of gloves -- 8,000 pairs.

"It's all God's plan," Barnhill noted. "It's amazing what everybody is doing."

The second trailer full of supplies is expected to leave for Joplin at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Barnhill said.

The focus now will be on preparing individual personal hygiene items in plastic bags. There is a need for those kinds of items.

Barnhill said the local group is determined to continue the relief effort for as long as the need exists.

"We've just got to hang on and keep doing this. It's long term. It's not going to end this weekend. We'll go into next week and see how they are doing then. It's not something that has to happen today. But if anyone has anything, we need it," he stressed.

Barnhill pointed out that a pallet of water can be purchased for about $250 and he urged civic groups or church group to consider this as a donation.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration officials said the Joplin storm, at times three-quarters of a mile wide, was the deadliest single tornado to hit the United States since 1953. At least 116 people died and 500 were injured by the storm. The numbers are expected to climb as aid workers comb through the wreckage left behind.

For more information and to arrange pick up of donated items, contact Barnhill at 384-5103 or 384-8633, R & R Trucking's office near Crane village at (812) 636-4328 or the Bloomfield First Christian Church at 384-4812.

Might be a good contact.

DuckMeRunnin
(member)
05/24/11 08:17 PM

I don't see any chance of me heading down there, but there will be a check in the mail tomorrow morning.

I can't say I'm surprised about this collective effort, but it sure as hell is impressive. I'm proud to know you folks.

Muggs
(member)
05/24/11 08:23 PM

I hope you all have safe places to stay. Things may get sideways again tonight. Bad storms coming right now from OK City. Intense rotation being reported along I-40 towards OK City, traveling NE towards Tulsa, Joplin, "HomeofToto" City.

Be safe.

Scout 1
05/24/11 08:27 PM

Thanks Greg, outstanding!!!

Just got word from Fullstrut, who has secured a second pull-along cooker... so we now are a Two Team organization.

Way to go dudes (that includes you DMR) !!

Folks, this weekend is a holiday and all.. but still we have enough vols to run the things. That is amazing!

We will need staff beginning about Wednesday of next week, and continuing after that. So if you can't step up this week, consider clearing out a few days for the later shifts, please.

I can tell you that we WILL need more burgers, dogs, brats, etc. than what we have and what we have $$ to buy... one more thing to keep in mind.

If you can get a contrib from anybody, do it please. If we end up with leftover, there's a million ways to make it count.

Good story fetch, Jim.

RafeHollister
(member)
05/24/11 08:51 PM

Boys, I just crawled out of the belly of the beast. I'm just numb after seeing that for 8 hours. The smell is really what you notice at first. Antifreeze, gasoline, natural gas, wet wood and insulation. Soon, we'll start to smell the decaying food, people and animals. This is fixin' to be an environmental disaster. We'll be needing the MO Nat'l Guard to do some aerial spraying for flies and mosquitoes later in the week.

We have a "tor-con index" of 7 right now. That means a 70% chance of a tornado within 50 miles at some point tonight. This system coming in is already dropping tornadoes in KS.

dabsAdministrator
()
05/24/11 08:53 PM

Question for those who are making some decisions -

Are you looking for pre-packaged pattie type of meats only?

I do have about 30 pounds of deerburger in the basement freezer that could go to use down there, but it is just ground and packaged in about 2 pound packages. Don't want to offer it up if it isn't something that is desired or would be questionable to use - but if it would be used I will cooler it up and send it too???

Just don't know how much prep work wants to be done and how far away from the standard meat offerings you want to get???

RafeHollister
(member)
05/24/11 09:01 PM

Follow the KISS principle, please. Don't get fancy. Stay away from wild game and anything uncommon. Frozen patties are best.

Scout 1
05/24/11 09:35 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Question for those who are making some decisions -

Are you looking for pre-packaged pattie type of meats only?

That's a rog. No prep, just cook and serve.

Rafe said it, easy is the word.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/24/11 09:46 PM

Scout - The folks at Copilevitz and Canter law firm where my daughter works kicked in $130 and the generator. Got some more $$$ in ma pocket for Timmy.

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
05/25/11 12:19 AM

Expect a check from me shortly, and thank you Cafer's for your efforts and generosity.

This is gonna be a long term problem for all these folks affected. Now is the time Joplin needs our support in surviving the short term.

I can't imagine such widespread death and distruction.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

LABMANLAPTOP said:
Tell me where to send a Swampy check and it will be in the mail...... Thanks for your compassion - now that's real Karma.

816-769-2220

Jim I just got home from work and found in my mailbox that the eagle landed today. Thank you for your generosity!

Scout 1
05/25/11 01:23 AM

Tremendous effort, dudes, THANK YOU!!!

last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
05/25/11 02:02 AM

Feeling pretty small compared to what you guys are doing but I will get a check off to help out.
Great effort by all of you!

Scout 1
05/25/11 02:19 AM

Couldn't do it without people willing to cut checks, Last Stand. THANKS

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/25/11 02:39 AM

Scout - Anyone got some box fans? Supposed to get might warm over the weekend.

Scout 1
05/25/11 02:40 AM

Good idea Dave.

I have one I can throw in.

Scout 1
05/25/11 10:18 AM

ANYONE WHO CAN: Please contact your local SONIC drive-in and appeal to them for a case of the foil burger envelopes, please.

We are gonna need them to "run" burgers out to leo's, rescue workers, citizens etc., as well as for the so-called point-of-sale purposes.

If your fav burger joint has burger envelopes like SONIC's, fine.

I'm hitting both my local SONICs for these, but we will need a lot.

THANKS

3s
()
05/25/11 10:52 AM

Scout, Its a no go for me this weekend now. The job decided it needed me this weekend but there is a large effort coming from this area. The are collecting goods that they are bringing by semi early in the week. I delivered the supplies I had accumulated to them and am burning the phones to local business to do the same. I'm taking more stuff over later this weekend. I'll talk to them and see how the distribution works and if they can help you guys. If so I'll pass on your contact info.

Scout 1
05/25/11 11:04 AM

Yep, please do pass along our contact info. Thanks for your good work, 3s!

We will have enough folks to run the grills this weekend. A week from now is when we need commitments.

Good job, keep it up, and THANKS!!!

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/25/11 11:41 AM

MIght have some volunteers for ya for next weekend Scott.

Scout 1
05/25/11 11:50 AM

GREAT Dave, good job my friend! Line em up.

Anybody got a good set of walkie talkies?
One of our contacts down there says daytime cell service is almost non existent.

Might come in handy.

DjF
(little buddie)
05/25/11 12:07 PM

Scott, do you need trash bags?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 12:19 PM

yes!!!!!!!!!!

DjF
(little buddie)
05/25/11 12:20 PM

I'll pick some up on my way over to your place...

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 12:49 PM

What time might I see your smiling face this afternoon/evening??

DjF
(little buddie)
05/25/11 12:52 PM

I'm making the pickup around 4:30 in Sedalia, then headed to your place, stopping to get some ice and trash bags, gloves...then to your place...probably sometime after 6....

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 01:15 PM

See you then!

Scout 1
05/25/11 01:26 PM

I'm bringing a gas can for fuel for the generator.

Maybe Pitbull can provide the oil.

Oh, wait...

DjF
(little buddie)
05/25/11 01:41 PM

make sure you take some game cams down for pics!!!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 01:41 PM

Mike said that gas is available in Joplin contrary to some reports. I will also throw in the two 5 gallon gas containers I have.

Scott there are 25 cases of bottled water in my garage. How much do you think you will be able to haul and how much should we load into Dave's truck for the trip down on Friday?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 01:45 PM

Quote:

DjF said:
make sure you take some game cams down for pics!!!

Yeah for when BO stops by on Sunday and talks to Scout and Dada!

Scout 1
05/25/11 01:47 PM

I will have room for SOME but not 25 cases.

St. Paul's Church folks have several pallets of water coming with our name on em.

TIM PLEASE CALL MY CELL soon as possible, thanks

Scout 1
05/25/11 01:51 PM

If that bastage shows up at the canteen, I'm not even looking at him.

No, wait.. I'm gonna try to get on teevee WITH him, and then announce that we are DUCK HUNTERS helping out with disaster relief. That will send him packing.

Otherwise, yes, somebody bring a game cam or two. Mine will be up here, working hopefully in my absence LMAO since pro cams do everything by themselves, when set on "P". They even have a credit card slot in the side.

stoneman
()
05/25/11 02:05 PM

You all need another truck/driver to haul supplies down ? I'll volunteer my F-150 and me . Plus I have several large ice chest I could bring to haul food down in. Let me know please assp.

stoneman

Scout 1
05/25/11 02:29 PM

Stoney, coordinate that with Tim and Swampy please. Thanks for stepping up, we need truckers!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/25/11 02:36 PM

Usually this group is a bunch of mothertruckers..

Scout 1
05/25/11 06:44 PM

Fantastic news from SKDuckhunt just now... he has a HUGE I mean HUGE contribution of bagged snacks and some other stuff from his business.

WAY TO GO SCOTT! Thank you man, that is GREAT!

We will have further about this in a little while.

SKDuckhunt
(member)
05/25/11 11:10 PM

My lil sis asked if I could bring some dry dog food and give it to anyone needing food for their pups, so it will be in my truck also...

SKDuckhunt
(member)
05/26/11 12:10 AM

I got a nice donation from my boss,(thanks, Brian), and I will buy bottled water with it unless there is something needed more than water...

Scout 1
05/26/11 12:22 AM

Good deal, there's a boil order down there. Thank yer boss for all of us.

THE_RebelCJ7
()
05/26/11 12:28 AM

What all ya still needing? I can be there possubly friday but def sat

Scout 1
05/26/11 12:31 AM

Timmy?

H2ODOG
05/26/11 01:14 AM

Yall going down better take a whole freaking pack of plugs for your tires and the tools needed to put em in. There will be drywall screws, nails, bolts, lag screws, and all kinds of great stuff for your tires. A moblie tire service in Joplin is fixing to be an instant overnight sucess. We had over 50 blowouts/flats in Nawlins in the first month. Your compressor and generator will come in handy as hell for ya too if ya can't get into a tire shop.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/26/11 01:18 AM

Pay no attention to Dog...the sucker looks for crap to run over so he can break more of his junk....and yours.

Normal people will have no problems.

griffin

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/26/11 01:24 AM

Just made the first Costco run with Dada. $580 later we are well on our way! Thanks to everyone for their contributions.. they are getting put to very good use!

H2ODOG
05/26/11 01:36 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Pay no attention to Dog...the sucker looks for crap to run over so he can break more of his junk....and yours.

griffin

Man....on my way to get my equipment in SEMO I might have to drive past your house and drain your pool..........
with my truck.

I just used YOUR old trollin motor at MTL last week for the first time ever....the one JD sold me. Sucker lasted about an hour. It needs a new center shaft bearing. Go figure. I wasn't even using it when it broke. It was either you or JD who tore it up......Pete Rose just put money down on YOU.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/26/11 02:49 AM

Rebel - Burgers and Buns, Dogs and Buns, Charcoal,Chips, whatever you can brang along. Red Cross thinks we'll feed 1200 a day.

dabsAdministrator
()
05/26/11 07:16 PM

Tim;

You have two generators, one with a built on light kit and a cord reel with a quartz light built into it in your garage...I did not have a chance to mark them with my name....if you get a chance to do that it would be great!

Thanks much.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/26/11 08:08 PM

Will do man!!! THANKS!!!!!

Scout 1
05/26/11 10:32 PM

They look great with "Edenview Farm/Gallatin MO" on em, Rick.

THANKS!!!!

fish
(senior member - literally)
05/26/11 10:45 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

Man....on my way to get my equipment in SEMO I might have to drive past your house and drain your pool..........
with my truck.

I just used YOUR old trollin motor at MTL last week for the first time ever....the one JD sold me. Sucker lasted about an hour. It needs a new center shaft bearing. Go figure. I wasn't even using it when it broke. It was either you or JD who tore it up......Pete Rose just put money down on YOU.

Dawg, I told you who owned before I sold it to you. Caveat Emptor, Brother !!!

Uh... Pete was right on that bet but that one is a no brainer.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/27/11 03:10 AM

You can't blame me for broken crap that I ain't owned in 3 years!!! For chrissakes Fish....you shoulda been a weatherman!

griffin

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/27/11 04:13 PM

Just got word from Dave and Scott that they are boots on the ground on location in Joplin! The Canteen is up and running!

newt
(member)
05/27/11 04:28 PM

I ain't got the words so i will say thank you. A bunc of damn fine hands around this place

DjF
(little buddie)
05/27/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

newt said:
I ain't got the words so i will say thank you. A bunc of damn fine hands around this place

quiet...we've worked hard to ruin our reputation around here!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/27/11 08:48 PM

Apparently they have already served meals to hundreds of people..

DjF
(little buddie)
05/27/11 08:55 PM

When this is all said and done, we are going to have to have one hell of a debriefing gtg...

67Firebird
05/27/11 09:00 PM

Scott K. is loaded up. I don't know when he'll get there though.

As they were loading;

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/27/11 09:27 PM

WOW!! I think his ETA in Joplin in 9 AM tomorrow

Farmer_Floyd
(member)
05/28/11 01:30 AM

I worked in Joplin all day today and it's hard to descibe it unless you see it. You guys are doing a real good thing here but i won't tell anybody!

redleg
(Enzyte - one a day!)
05/28/11 06:38 PM

FF,,,some of our hands went down,,,1,000,000 miles plus,,they've seen a lot,,,it reduced 50 + year old guys to tears,,,,I can't imagine. Bless em and those that help...

stoneman
()
05/28/11 08:23 PM

--Way To Go Guys !!! ---and I say --have a few Beers ---during your break -- --to you all !

Stoneman

Mel
(member)
05/29/11 05:09 PM

IIFID said they fed 50-60 army reservist MPs last night along with others previously. Said they were tired, sunburnt but hanging in there. Kudos to the guys!!!

DjF
(little buddie)
05/29/11 05:27 PM

Hell. Timmy ain't sunburnt...thats just him doing something outside the office!

redleg
(Enzyte - one a day!)
05/29/11 08:52 PM

I would say the Cafe has been well represented....

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5